Your role at Thin Air
We are looking for someone with a PhD from a technical discipline with a passion for innovation and creating real world impact.
Thin Air Labs is a venture capital and services firm igniting venture growth for greater human impact. We invest in seed-stage innovation-based ventures through our venture arm, help ventures succeed with our services team, and nurture the innovation ecosystem through our involvement and influence with community builders and critical ecosystem partners.
At Thin Air, we are:
- Founder focused, supporting founders who create meaningful human impact
- Infinitely curious about our founders and the companies they’re building
- Unlike minds, valuing differences in perspective and ways of thinking
- Impact driven, we strive to help bring ideas into reality and real world impact
Our Funding Catalyst team works closely with high-growth venture founders to help them articulate their vision, develop a capitalization strategy for their growth, and identify and apply for various forms of capital to support it. We are on a mission to be the trusted source for fundraising strategies and execution for ventures across North America. Since its inception, Funding Catalyst has helped companies secure millions in non-dilutive capital, accelerating the growth and development of start-ups in the innovation ecosystem.
Thin Air Labs’ Funding Catalyst team is looking for a talented technical writer with a passion for entrepreneurship. The candidate will work collaboratively with founding teams to help them clarify their vision, work with the Thin Air team to design a capitalization strategy for rapid growth, identify funding sources to support it, and translate all of this into compelling pitch narratives for funding applications.
In this role you will:
- Learn all aspects of what makes a venture successful
- Create rapid and tangible impact to the ventures that you work with
- Work autonomously within a team of people who provide a comprehensive support network for founders through venture capital, development of MVPs and access to other sources of non-dilutive funding
- Materially improve the probability that ventures will succeed
- Directly influence the economic growth of Calgary for current and future generations
- Support the commercialization and success of cutting edge technology that the world hasn’t seen yet
You would be described as:
- Having strong technical writing skills with a knack for breaking down complex ideas in a concise and persuasive tone
- A PhD in a technical discipline such as science or engineering
- Outcome driven with the ability to keep the big picture in mind while staying grounded in the work required to achieve it
- A life-long learner ready to jump into new concepts and technical areas outside of their comfort zone
- Practical and focused on tangible results and outcomes and can balance when to build process vs just getting it done
- Having the ability to take big ideas and explain them to outside stakeholders with minimal to no pretense
- Having the ability to juggle multiple projects at one time
- Must be computer-savvy and well-versed in document editing software and other productivity tools
- Previous experience with writing or reviewing grants necessary
You will be responsible for:
- Working directly with founding teams to help them get to the next stage of their growth.
- Collaborating with various team members at Thin Air Labs to distill complex business concepts and ideas into compelling pitches for the ventures we support
- Translating business problems, strategies and descriptions into cohesive narrative for non-dilutive funding
- Researching and identifying optimal funding sources to support ventures at various stages of their growth
- Strategizing with ventures to guide which funding sources to prioritize
- Helping ventures research information related to their business required to submit grant and funding applications
- Producing concise and purposeful written content for funding applications
- Proofreading, fact-checking, and evaluating work against funding program criteria
- Supporting ventures through funding outcomes
Equal Opportunity Employer At Thin Air Labs, we value diversity in our workforce and believe "unlike minds" make strong teams. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply.